New York's Croatian community is centered on SS. Cyril & Methodius Church and St. Raphael's Church at 502 West 41st St. and the adjoining Croatian Center at 507 West 40th St. The buildings sit in an odd site, between the entrance to the Lincoln Tunnel and Port Authority.
St. Raphael is the older of the two parishes, founded in 1886 by an Irish community. The present neo-Gothic building opened in 1914. The Irish were later supplanted by Italians, and in 1974 Croats took it over. The church reopened as a Croatian parish in 1977.
An article from June 2004 in the Daily News, "It's a pain in the glass," highlights dangers posed to the church complex by the impending development of the far West Side.
(Photo from http://www.nyc-architecture.com/MID/MID135.htm)