Though it is now long gone, the Russian Tea Room remains the stuff of New York legend. One of Manhattan's hottest Slavic spots for ages, the Russian Tea Room closed up shop in 1996, but reopened again four years later only to close once again in 2002, this time for ever.
The building, at 150 West 57 between Sixth and Seventh Avenues, was built in 1873. The Russian Tea Room, however, was not opened until many years later, in 1926, by former members of the Russian Imperial Ballet. Throughout its history, the restaurant attracted an A-list clientel, from Nureyev to Jackie O. A full account of its glory days can be found in The Russian Tea Room: A Love Story, by the restaurant's owner from 1967 to 1996, Faith Stewart-Gordon.
(Photo from http://www.nyc-architecture.com/MID/MID091.htm)